Monday, May 3, 2010

The Giver Chapters 4-8


Today we read the chapters 4-8 on the book The Giver by Lois Lowry. This book is about a perfect community in the future. Your future would be planned and you would not have that many choices to do on your own. There are ceremonies for every age that you turn. There is the ceremony of the first children when children get a father and mother so the parents don't get to choose who to marry and what baby they get. There are only allowed to have families of four. 1 mother 1 father 1 boy and 1 girl.

In class we had to answer a question. The question was "Would you want your future to be decided by others ? Why or Why not?" I think that I wouldn't mind having my future decided because then I wouldn't have to worry about money to but food or a job that gives enough money to buy a house. I wouldn't have to worry because the food was given to me and the house was also given to the parents. But I wouldn't get to choose my husband so that is sad. What if I end up with a man that I do not like.

When I really think about it I wouldn't like my future to be choosen by someone else because I would pretty much live in a box, not being able to do anything just waiting for someone to live for me I mean I wouldn't do anything. I would just let life walk by and know that nothing will happen to me because I don't control my life.

3 comments:

  1. Its a bit on the short side. I liked how you looked at the freedom thing from both perspetives, explaining how its good and bad. I did find one little grammar mistake. You said "Today we read chapters 4-8 on the book..." Its supposed to be "of the book", not "on the book". For the rest it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree with Roemer a little bit, your post is quite short and doesn't have much details to it. I did see one little mistake you did, it says, "I wouldn't have to worry about money to but food..." I think you meant BUY food, not BUT food. Maybe you should talk more about why you don't want your future to be controlled by others, maybe you could have said that that it would be boring because you would have the same schedule every single day. You also could have said that you wouldn't be free, would won't be able to explore the world or make your own choices. But otherwise it is great!!

    ReplyDelete