Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Mankind is no island (Poem)

























No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.



The Poem 'No man is an island' is set in the 1640's. I think that this poem represents loss. I think this because when it says 'any man's death diminishes me' In my words means, when ever someone dies, a little part of my heart crumbles. This poem reminds me of a story I once heard when I was 10. It was called 'my heart falls down' The book is about a little girl that sees her father being killed. SHe has dreams and thoughts of her father falling and falling, then, at the end on the book there is a picture of a heart that is crumbled into little pieces.

Another thing that this poem reminds me of is the myth 'Deadalus and Icarus'. this poem is very much like this myth. Deadalus is crushed, when he drops his nephew and when his only son falls from the sky. Deadalus whats to run away from all of his worries and shame. Also I think that Icarus is also very crushed. In the story Icarus's father doesn't seem to like him so much, this is very hurtful for a child.

That is all that I can think that this poem represents.

No comments:

Post a Comment